Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Button and Loop fasteners on Paenula Cloak
What I find strange is that in every reference we read of about these things we find they are called button loop fasteners which is indeed a button and a loop that goes over such a button, these buttons need to be fixed to material for them to function and this is where the right angled part of the bracket of this button comes into use where it is stitched to the material.
Then there is what is now the other half of the terminology that is a loop that goes over the button to hold the edges of a garment together and this loop comes from the other edge of the garment, this is where I think that many refer to these as button loop where in fact they should be termed button and loop fasteners.
With all due respect to John Peter Wild who has done a catalogue of these things where it comes out a bit like Russell Robinsons works of the past I have to totally disagree with his idea of the right angle bracket of these buttons being considered as the loop, for the only thing that could ever make them function as loop fasteners is a loop that goes over such a button.
Then we do have a very interesting situation with our Camomile Street soldier where we do not see such loops going over these buttons at the top of the garment, so it the raises the idea that both myself and Mike Bishop would suspect there could even be button holes involved, then lower down the garment we see what appear to be toggles with loops that could be undone much easier to lift the garment over the shoulders.
Brian Stobbs

Messages In This Thread
Button and Loop fasteners on Paenula Cloak - by PhilusEstilius - 04-12-2015, 05:56 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cloak- Pass for Paenula? Ironhand 14 2,946 04-23-2007, 09:20 PM
Last Post: Ironhand
  deepeka gallicus g OR h/hamata button tortous 11 2,422 01-31-2007, 09:20 AM
Last Post: Peroni
  Lacing loop help! emj1s 16 3,729 09-29-2006, 09:33 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius