Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cloak- Pass for Paenula?
I have a deerskin cloak I purchased before I got into Roman reenactment and I'm curious as to whether with hood modification it could pass as a leather paenula. Each one is unique and mine isn't as ragged edged as the pictured models, but it still gives you a good idea. The hood has a linipipe so I know that part needs modified. Its from Jekyl the Hidesmith. I'd hate to have to sell it if I don't have to.
Derek D. Estabrook
eh.... honestly? i would pass and sell it i think. those things could get you a good bit of cash to buy a but load of period goodness
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
You're probably right Chuck. Its too bad though. I wish I would have gone through the Kewl Ren Faire stage when I had less money. Damn, I have a lot of things to sell. I have about $10,000 in swords to get rid of. Its easier to buy than sell, thats for sure.
Derek D. Estabrook
totally hear you on that. i've still got gear from my rennie days haunting me. where in VA are you at?
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
I'm in Alexandria, desperately trying to get my gear ready for Roman Days. The closer I get, I'm starting to think maybe I should go as a slave this year. LOL.
Derek D. Estabrook
If you can sew, a paenula is really pretty easy to make. There are different sorts of blankets and wide wool yard goods that can be a start. Lots of threads on RAT about color, length, and so forth.

The general shape of a hood is pretty standard, but it should not be one of the more modern "multi piece hoods" that are sometimes found on Ren cloaks. There is a good bit on Leg XX site about how-to concerning this:
http://www.larp.com/legioxx/coldcloth.html

If you are in a group of Roman reenactors, or there is a group nearby, check with them for color and weight of cloth before you buy anything. They may have exclusionary rules, like, say, "No Red", or "Only Camel color", or whatever. Better to fit in than argue.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
what all do you have? what all do you need? i know there are usually lots of loaner gear, you just gotta let legioXX know ahead of time so people will bring the extras. if you got your tunic, belt and caligues done come, even if you dont come in a tunic and we'll try to fit in the rest.
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
Right now I have the basic tunic and caligae, but my belt is Late Roman. Maybe I'm trying for too much this year. Better to come out with the minimum and meet people and have fun.
Derek D. Estabrook
dude ya make sure you come out thats the important thing. i'm sure legio xx or legio xxiv can help you once you get there. my legion legio xiv is still small so we dont have a lot of extras yet, but always glad to see a new face!
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
Thanks Chuck. I'll see you there. I'm pretty familiar with camping events and I already went over the rules so I'm not going to be bringing anything modern. I'm pretty familiar with roughing it too. At Estrella last year I decided to just sleep under the stars for the fun of it. I slept on the battlefield.
Derek D. Estabrook
Derek,

Do not give it up as a lost cause just yet. There is a good photo of a leather cloak dated to the Roman age from Denmark. You can see the photo in Graham Sumners Roman Military Clothing Vol. 2. Take a look at that to see if you could modify your existing cloak to this style first. Would be a nice piece for a Germanic Aux soldier.

I would also like to extend an invite to join us at Roman Days. Just look for the guys with blue tunics and the LEG XIIII shields, and vexillum.

I will go over paenula making with you at the event. I have made 10 of them or so.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Derek

I came to my first Roman Days with just a tunica and borrowed the rest; there is always plenty of gear.

Are you an SCA person also? I do both living history and SCA and I am near Crystal City in Alexandria right across from Potomac Yards mall on Rt 1.
James Barker
Legio XIIII Martia Victrix
I look forward to meeting you all. If people there are as friendly as on the forum it should be a real good time. Right now, I'm staying on Fort Belvoir. I am a member of the SCA. I haven't made it to Pennsic yet because of work difficulties, but I hope to make it this year. I need to get reauthorized for fighting as I let my card lapse. I'll have to work the rust off. I love the SCA, but sometimes it can seem to be a little too much like the National Guard (weekend warriors, no offense meant) of the reenacting world. A bit more serious than ren faires, but lacks some of the things I love about living history groups. I'm also getting a little sick of getting pulled into politics in the SCA. Lately it seems that unless I pitch a tent in a far corner and ignore everyone, no matter what I do someone I know gets me involved in a conflict or problem. I'm not talking about simple drunken scraps either. Still, I have a great time at events so I don't want to give the impression that I dislike the SCA.
Derek D. Estabrook
hey, if all you have is a tunic and caligae, that's a great start, As others have said, many of us bring extra gear (it becomes infectious, just so you know), so we can probably get you into some stuff, but the good thing is that with your "basic" kit - you can still protray a Tiro recruit, you don't *need* armor and helmet and all right away, and as far as I know, Tirones didn't get thier full compliment of gear until they became Miles.

But like I said, there ought to be pieces of loaner gear around for you try on, try out and check out.

We'll have fun playing "dress up" with ya. Muahahahahah
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Sure thing, just no braiding my hair.
Derek D. Estabrook

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Button and Loop fasteners on Paenula Cloak 66kbm 88 15,750 04-14-2015, 02:07 PM
Last Post: caiusbeerquitius