Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interpreting Polybius (was Late Roman Army)
Steven, it is my choice to answer or not answer questions you make. I think I made myself very clear when I said that I ONLY voiced my opinion on what Polybius said and nothing more. So, please, stop taunting me or trying to force me into a discussion I do not want to get involved in. If it makes you feel better to think that the reason I avoid it is because I cannot answer your questions feel free to do so. If you disagree with my understanding of Polybius because evidently the translations you have read seem to agree with you, feel also free to do so. Now, if you have any questions or something you want to say on Polybius' text I will be happy to reply as I have done with Mark but I do not wish to digress on a very specific topic and that's about it. I would advise that you start another thread if you want to discuss something different to the OP.

Plus, I mentioned Dionysius Halicarnasensis for a reason and that is because I wanted to show you that I DO know very well what he has written on the Roman political system and how it corresponds with the military one. Yet, this has nothing to do with Polybius, who is very clear (in my opinion and understanding of course) on the fact that he is describing the military system alone. Maybe he doesn't care, maybe he doesn't know better, but his Greek text leaves me no doubt whatsoever.
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
῾Ηρακλῆος γὰρ ἀνικήτου γένος ἐστέ

Messages In This Thread
Interpreting Polybius (was Late Roman Army) - by antiochus - 08-06-2013, 02:27 AM
Interpreting Polybius (was Late Roman Army) - by antiochus - 08-07-2013, 06:26 AM
Interpreting Polybius (was Late Roman Army) - by antiochus - 08-08-2013, 04:32 AM
Interpreting Polybius (was Late Roman Army) - by Macedon - 08-08-2013, 06:26 AM
Interpreting Polybius (was Late Roman Army) - by antiochus - 08-14-2013, 06:50 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Roman Army during the 5th century Robert Vermaat 89 18,071 01-11-2024, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Magister_Officiorum13241
  Late Roman Army Ranks - Numeri/Limitanei jmsilvacross 14 2,044 11-17-2021, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Steven James
  Late Roman Army - seniores and iuniores Robert Vermaat 46 21,312 10-15-2020, 10:16 PM
Last Post: Steven James