Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re Reenactors with Shield Designs from the Notitia
Quote:Were the old-style cohorts and alae still called auxilia, or was the term exclusively used for the palatine units? There's a rescript from Diocletian confiming that service in 'a cohort' was still inferior to and paid less than service in a legion, so the old distinction was still in force then. When did it change? When did these 'barbarian' numeri gain the title auxilia palatina anyway?

(sorry, bit of a different question I know!)

Yeah, we're digressing again.. Wink

I'm not sure. Such old titles might have stuck of course, even though the auxilia as an army class had long gone, even though we never read about any official disbanding of it. I'm also not sure how to interpret that rescript. Diocletian raised many 'legions', all new-style army, and all paying more than the old style units, including the old style legions. Later we get the pay differences between limitanei, comitatenses and palatini, maybe there was indeed a further difference within the limitanei as well?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Re Reenactors with Shield Designs from the Notitia - by Robert Vermaat - 05-31-2013, 11:36 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shield designs in Armies and Enemies of Imperial Rome Marcus Mummius 6 2,247 03-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Quintis Antonius Felix
  Copyright Shield Designs ? madoc 83 20,508 05-07-2008, 02:47 AM
Last Post: Iace
  Different designs for different shield types? Carlton Bach 1 1,136 03-21-2005, 07:05 PM
Last Post: Andrew Brozyna