Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High Imperial Roman army vs Late Roman army
Quote:Something I have noticed, when putting together lamellar in the method prescribed by Dr. Timothy Dawson is the similarity between Byzantine lamellar and Lorica Segmentata. Given the long military memory of the Romiosi this likeness cannot be coincidental. The similarities are striking in construction, but as the evolution of this type, later metal Byzantine lamellar offers superior protection.

I mention this because although the Empires suffered setbacks in the migration age and late antiquity, we can still see here a progression and improvement in the military. This development of panoply and tactics was necessary because Rome's enemies changed, evolved and improved their ways of war.

I often wondered if the Alba Iulia depiction of LS with Scale Cuirass was representing a step towards the evolution of LS into Lamellar.

Messages In This Thread
High Imperial Roman army vs Late Roman army - by Flavivs Aetivs - 04-25-2013, 09:00 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vegetius and the later Roman army: common mistakes? Robert Vermaat 2 233 05-10-2024, 02:41 PM
Last Post: Longovicium
Question Distances and distance measuring in the Roman Army? dcbrown 2 244 04-03-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: dcbrown
  Late Roman Army during the 5th century Robert Vermaat 89 18,066 01-11-2024, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Magister_Officiorum13241