Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High Imperial Roman army vs Late Roman army
Quote:If we take Constantine's reorganization as the starting point, there are a whole series of major shocks in the following decades: first the civil war between Constantius II and Magnentius, second the Persian War, with Tomlin and Hoffman arguing for reorganizations afterwards, third the Gothic War, and on its heels the civil war between Theodosius and Magnus Maximus, and fifth the civil war between Theodosius and Eugenius, with the new Theodosian units in the Notitia either newly-formed or reorganized or replacing old units... I'm leaving out several smaller civil wars, border wars, etc.

Do we have any idea what the losses in those wars were? Also, I know that Theodisius "de-nuded" the frontier of liminati to bolster his numbers before Frigidus. Is there any indication that Stilicho returned the pseudo-comitatenses to border-guard status, or were they just incorporated into the field army?
There are some who call me ......... Tim?

Messages In This Thread
High Imperial Roman army vs Late Roman army - by Tim - 04-25-2013, 12:16 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vegetius and the later Roman army: common mistakes? Robert Vermaat 2 203 05-10-2024, 02:41 PM
Last Post: Longovicium
Question Distances and distance measuring in the Roman Army? dcbrown 2 209 04-03-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: dcbrown
  Late Roman Army during the 5th century Robert Vermaat 89 17,915 01-11-2024, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Magister_Officiorum13241