Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High Imperial Roman army vs Late Roman army
Quote:
Frank post=336012 Wrote:After the reign of Herakleios and the loss of Syria, Egypt and Africa, I would even not call the East a Roman Empire anymore. Now after the reorganisation based on Themata things became even more different anyways. A fuly new era started. But thats just my personal view.

And how would you call it then?The "Byzantine empire"?Personally I can't agree.
Romans in different eras always evolved significantly.But they don't stop to be roman state,just because they were different from the time of Emperor Trajan.

I do not disagree with you! I underlined the term Empire in my post above with a reason. I don't say, that the Rhomanoi were no romans anymore. I say, it was no Empire anymore! Let's call it Kingdom of Anatolia or whatever you want. Fact is, I don't care about "roman" history after Herakleios, because the Empire was gone and every theoretical chance to get the ancient mediterrenean culture back, too.

When I first read Pirennes book about the Fall of Rome 30 years ago, where he argues, that the Roman Empire did not fall in the 5th century but in the 7th century (if at all), I was first doubtfully astonished, too. In the meantime, I still do not agree with most parts of Pirennes theory, but the 7th century as a major break in european and roman history makes a lot of sense to me.
Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas

Messages In This Thread
High Imperial Roman army vs Late Roman army - by Frank - 04-24-2013, 12:38 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vegetius and the later Roman army: common mistakes? Robert Vermaat 2 237 05-10-2024, 02:41 PM
Last Post: Longovicium
Question Distances and distance measuring in the Roman Army? dcbrown 2 245 04-03-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: dcbrown
  Late Roman Army during the 5th century Robert Vermaat 89 18,071 01-11-2024, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Magister_Officiorum13241