Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Living History for the Visually Impaired
I personally don't see too much of an issue for someone who needs glasses to see if they are in an [ancient] kit.<br>
<br>
If you are able to do without the glasses while in kit and in public, then that's terrific, but if you are unable to see properly or gauge distance, et cetera, then I say ignore the "true" authenticity and wear the glasses (or if contacts don't work)<br>
<br>
IMHO, it's an issue of safety, if you can't see what's going on, you could mistake someone's actions, or you could stumble or bump into something (even worse if that something is sharp and pointy), so at that, if you cannot use any other alternative means, I say wear your glasses... I'd at least hope that most people who come to our events will have just an inkling enough of a clue to figure out if you absolutely didn't need to wear the glasses, you'd not be wearing them, and that ancient peoples didn't have glasses.<br>
<br>
...besides, to be truly "authentic" we Romans would all have to speak Latin, and noone but other Latin-speakers would be able to understand what we're saying, and that means we'd be alienating a large majority of our audience and potential new recruits. (and those of us who don't know much Latin, like myself, would have to consider a new hobby, and that's no fun)<br>
<br>
It's the same reason I explain why I have ductape on the bottom of my Caligae - It's a Personal Safety Device - so I don't fall on my buttockus and look like a doofus, or worse, hurt myself (because I nearly blew out my knee the one time I did slip and fall) and I explain that, obviously, Romans didn't have ductape, and had to be careful of what they walked on.<br>
<br>
If you're with a group, I'd talk about this with your [commander] and figure out the happy medium. If you're solo, well, do what you think is best. <p></p><i></i>

Messages In This Thread
Roman Living History for the Visually Impaired - by Anonymous - 03-17-2005, 02:34 AM
how many fingers and I holding up? - by Anonymous - 03-17-2005, 11:17 PM
Re: how many fingers and I holding up? - by Anonymous - 03-19-2005, 12:57 AM
Glassee - by Anonymous - 03-20-2005, 08:39 AM
Re: Glassee - by Mithras - 03-20-2005, 09:48 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Living History and advanced students, eg, IBO richsc 0 1,086 07-16-2017, 05:19 AM
Last Post: richsc
  EXARC and living history groups richsc 0 1,051 12-02-2016, 12:34 PM
Last Post: richsc
  International living history standards richsc 22 7,700 11-01-2016, 05:45 AM
Last Post: Luca