Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JSTOR - free but limited access
http://about.jstor.org/rr

I’ve signed up. The program is called Register and Read and you need a free MyJstor account to access the articles. You fill out some basic information: name, your main subject of study, etc.

Glancing through the list of participating journals I see things like: Greece & Rome from Cambridge University, Papers of the British School at Rome, Memoirs of the American Academy in Rome and Near Eastern Archaeology. I couldn’t find some of the big names, like anything from the Roman Society.

To see what was available I typed in “Marcus Aurelius” and got 439 articles. As one could expect, they were very diverse, everything from the J. Paul Getty Museum Journal’s study of a particular bronze bust of the young Marcus, to the Journal of Business Ethics take on his Stoic ethics.

For a positive story: I did see one article about the plague under Marcus Aurelius from the American Journal of Philology that I spent a great deal of effort to get from a university library a couple of years ago. With this, I could have had it in 10 minutes instead of two weeks.

Some of it looks very interesting, and some not-so-interesting. Overall, I think this could be very helpful. You can’t expect to find everything you might want, but it will certainly make the lives of “independent researchers” much easier.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com

Messages In This Thread
JSTOR - free but limited access - by Ben Kane - 01-16-2013, 06:38 PM
JSTOR - free but limited access - by Epictetus - 01-17-2013, 11:57 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Access to JSTOR Vindex 3 1,183 08-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Last Post: Phaichtos
  Jstor access for RAT members... possible?? MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS 7 2,228 10-28-2007, 12:18 AM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS