Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Combination of niëllo and silvering on belt plates
Thanks for the replies Big Grin.

@Brian: I am very interested in the article by Morel and Bosman, since I live in Velsen where the plates were found, but I can`t find an online version anywhere. Could you send me a digital version of the article, please?
How did you get that belt plate btw? Did you find it yourself as detectorist, or did you buy it, or something else?

@mike: I understand that no belt plates with both niëllo and silvering has ever been found which means that it is unlikely that they occured so it is not authentic to make a silvered replica with niëllo. That is a pity since the contrast between niëllo and silver is beautiful and especially because silver provides a much more durable protective layer than tin does.

Quote:I had an interesting conversation with Nodge Nolan only the other day about the technical difficulties of both tinning and nielloing the same object

Some months ago I have done some experiments to find out how the Romans tinned and niëlloed the same object and I can say that it turned out to be very easy. I got a very nice result without difficulties. The only thing you have to do, is to completely reconsider your knowledge about niëllo. In the near future - let say within a few months - I want to experiment with some organic fluxes which are more authentic to make my working method completely plausible.
(aka Niels)

Messages In This Thread
Combination of niëllo and silvering on belt plates - by Latinitas - 10-03-2012, 04:18 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Roman Belt with mixed plates models. Rado 15 5,974 08-05-2017, 10:06 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Tinning belt plates 2biggij 9 3,348 04-14-2017, 04:34 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Niello.....? Doc 6 2,518 10-20-2015, 05:53 AM
Last Post: Crispianus