Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Squamata for late Augustan impression?
Those scales from Masada are indeed different and may well have been used for scale on mail. However, everyone is ignoring the pictures to the left that have hole patterns in the same position found in Roman scales. The only difference is that AFAIK, there have not been bonified Roman scales found with a mid-rib for squamata. This is the only example of similar Roman hole patterns but with a mid-rid..........but it is not known if it is Roman.

However Rado, in my opinion......there are many sculptures showing ribbed scales on Roman soldiers and I would be hard pressed to believe that they are ALL artistic liscence. I too will make a squamata at some point and will use those scales from Masada without the border but with all the other hole arrangment.

In other words, ribbed scales are shown on many Roman sculptures, and the hole pattern is known on Roman scales. These scales from Masada are proof that there are squamata scales with a known hole patter that have a rib. To me, it is ridiculous to think that if such a pattern existed that the Romans in their fancy would NEVER use such an item especially since it is depicted everywhere.

I think people get too hung up on the actual evidence and start losing site that variations most likely could and in my opinion, did appear.

Having said this, I think you should not use the Deepeeka scales simply because if you want to keep with the "evidence" the best evidence available for a ribbed squamata scale is the one from Masada (left picture no border) (still a variation but very plausible in my opinion) that in contstruction and appearence looks the closest to something Roman.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo

Messages In This Thread
Augustan Squamata - by Paullus Scipio - 09-30-2008, 10:45 PM
Augustan squamata - by Paullus Scipio - 10-01-2008, 07:10 AM
Re: - by Dan Howard - 12-13-2009, 09:30 PM
Re: Squamata for late Augustan impression? - by Doc - 07-28-2012, 09:49 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Republican/Civil War Impression fischereco5 3 1,726 02-16-2010, 06:53 PM
Last Post: kevair464
  Putting Together a Late Republican Tribune Impression kevair464 5 1,955 11-06-2009, 05:57 PM
Last Post: kevair464
  Is this suitable for a late roman impression? Virilis 13 3,311 03-04-2008, 06:49 AM
Last Post: Virilis