Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brass work for Gladius in process.
Quote:Iron and bronze alloys are different! I understand tha cooling it either fast with hot water or letting it cool slowly produce the same effect! Working the the brass while hot will cause it to shatter though!
So I have been led to believe!
Cooling iron in water will harden it! Smile

Correct me if I'm wrong,anyone!

I work a lot with steel and brass making knives and sabers. Steel and brass work in opposite ways. Cooling steel slowly makes it soft but cooling brass slowly hardens it. The oposite is also true. Fast cooling of steel will harden it but fast cooling of brass will actually soften it. I would not advise water though as the cooling may be too fast and will also not occur uniformly as some spots of the brass will be touching water while other parts will be encased in hot steam for a second or two. This may cause warping and in severe cases cracking. A boiling saturated solution of salt water will be less detrimental. I normally cool the brass by placing it on a cold anvil or any bulky piece of steel. The cold steel will draw the heat out of the brass quick enough to soften it without you running the risk of causing damage by dunking in water.

Hope that helps.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Brass work for Gladius in process. - by Joe - 08-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Re: Brass work for Gladius in process. - by Doc - 08-29-2011, 07:07 PM
Re: Brass work for Gladius in process. - by Doc - 08-29-2011, 08:53 PM
Re: Brass work for Gladius in process. - by Doc - 12-20-2011, 10:19 AM
Re: Brass work for Gladius in process. - by Charl - 03-07-2012, 07:16 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pompeii Gladius and Scabbard - Work in Progress sulla felix 71 12,757 03-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Robert