Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brass work for Gladius in process.
Alright! Here we go again, thought much closer to the finish line this time!

I have taken aboard new skills, and technique methods which will save you some money, allow you to accomplish your goal, and cost you little extra time!

Here are some pictures... Might not seem like a lot, but it is a huge breakthrough for me, and I've only got like, 2 more steps to do and I'm finished.
( I will note how I made the terminal knob after listed steps)

Step #1 ( completed) is the terminal knob for the chape. It has two groves, and follows a Pompeii type chape. I have re-made the front cross plate, which is with the two grooves, as I wasn't happy with my riveting on the first one seen on previous pictures, also the hammer marks, so I did it again, maybe 3 times as quick, and a lot "cleaner" too! The only piece on the chape that is soldered is the knob, which is soldered with plumbers solder, much stronger than tin!

Step #2 ( next on list) I will be going to Ace Hardware tomorrow to buy Boiled Linseed oil. I can't find raw, so this'll have to do. It will be to put the finish on my handle. A nice gloss. I re-sanded it, rough-fine, which the fine smoothed it off nicely. The finished result I predict will please me well. I also bought Brasso, which works a charm. (Thanks Crispvs.)

Step #3 I have to make the terminal knob for the pommel. I will use the same method as for the other terminal knob, but I haven't fully decided on a design. I'm not sure what piece of brass to use either. I have bought solid brass items. Plugs ARE good for this and are solid brass. In my uploaded photo you'll see my resources, and also some bronze and a chromed rings, which I'll use for making belt plates, also following Crispvs' description method in another thread.

I made the terminal knob from a brass item used for plumbling, that had an inside concave thread, and was hexagonal on the outside. I got a chisel ( punch- circular) and tapped it inside the threaded end. I then put the chisel inside one of my drills, bigger than normal drills,( for masonry?) and this automatically became a lathe with maybe 20 speeds! I viced it down and began rounding the outside first, second step is to round the flat end round into a half ball ( careful not to breach the hollow inside!) I then stopped the drill, and got a metal cutting saw. I sawed in careful, appropriate "ditches" to guide the saw when the drill is spinning, helping to prevent an unguided saw making damage to your piece. I then completed the two shallow ring-diches. Used the same method to saw completely though, cutting the piece the correct length from the rest of the stock, finishing the piece. Please note that to carve out the piece I used files mostly, a shard blade for a tester, and the various degrees of sand paper. Last I used Brasso, all while spinning AND BEFORE I cut off the stock. I turned the finished piece upside down, stuck it in the "chuck," and got a chisel, and carved out the inside walls flat and at an angle! I didn't have my camera working so I couldn't show you pictures Sad

For my next pommel terminal knob, I am welcoming design ideas ( suitable to make from my resources) and any further adivce.

Thanks for following up Smile

Sam

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Samuel J.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Brass work for Gladius in process. - by Joe - 08-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Re: Brass work for Gladius in process. - by Doc - 08-29-2011, 07:07 PM
Re: Brass work for Gladius in process. - by Doc - 08-29-2011, 08:53 PM
Re: Brass work for Gladius in process. - by Doc - 12-20-2011, 10:19 AM
Re: Brass work for Gladius in process. - by Fidelis Sam - 03-01-2012, 08:15 AM
Re: Brass work for Gladius in process. - by Charl - 03-07-2012, 07:16 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pompeii Gladius and Scabbard - Work in Progress sulla felix 71 12,689 03-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Robert