Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legio II beyond the realms of Exeter
As for the Fortress size at Exeter, i have seen many diagrams/plans/reconstructions of the Cohort blocks and they all contradict each other....if anyone knows the correct layout then i would be more than gratefull for the info.
Quote..

Exeter is smaller than the other full legionary bases in Britain. This is probably accounted for by the necessity to fit the fortress into a restricted spur site...

...Until recently the fortress at Exeter was thought incapable of accomadating a full legion. However, the discovery of its full size and the elucidation of the layout of the barracks... have now placed the matter beyond doubt. The fortress was apparently designed to accomodate a garrison comprising 12 units of quingenary strength. Since in the pre-Flavian period the normal complement of a legion was 10 quingenary cohorts, it follows that two of the units provided for in the fortress are likely to have been auxiliaries... [perhaps] cavalry alae.

I say...where did they keep the horses...no evidence of horses has yet been found within the "fortress" area. A seperate enclosure/fortified area?
The legionary base will continue to cause speculation and dissagreement.
I am more interested in the involvement of the Legion in areas to the west/beyond the Legionary base.
Exeter is another subject alltogether.....i think, although each subject/item does form part of the picture of the puzzle that we have very few parts.
Kevin
Kevin

Messages In This Thread
Re: Legio II beyond the realms of Exeter - by kevin mills - 02-26-2012, 12:16 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Claudian fort at Exeter kavan 0 502 10-01-2019, 08:04 AM
Last Post: kavan
  St Loyes dig near Exeter. 66kbm 0 784 11-04-2014, 04:56 PM
Last Post: 66kbm