Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brass work for Gladius in process.
I know it's been a while! But I'm still around making slow progress. I have conquered riveting almost to a fine "t" and that's making my rivets myself. Ball-peen really helps Wink
Anyway, so I've added a back plate, got hold of four suspension rings ( look suitable?) I know my loops for them are a bit big :oops: BUT I did my best, and I HAVE seen all sizes. Some that don't even look like loops...
So I finalized those two cross hangers and for the lower one, I need examples or ideas, on a brass plate ( decorative?) to put under it... might be reminding you of a Mainz too much, but I am a Fulham, in between the Mainz and Pompeii.
I use wire wool or cotton ( very fine) to polish my metal, works great on the metal, but not the leather!! Got to be careful. In the future with the metal being secured to the leather scabbard, I'll have to try out Demetrius's ashes method Wink

I am still also debating whether to put a "nail" through the scabbard and peen it over the back to support the locket plate ( and all the sword's weight from the cross hangers) or use the "concealed" rivet method and use small nails that don't go through the scabbard. Any easiest suggestions?

Anyway, more updates coming soon hopefully. I also might plan on a little soldering on some loose pieces.

Regards, Sam.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Samuel J.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Brass work for Gladius in process. - by Joe - 08-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Re: Brass work for Gladius in process. - by Doc - 08-29-2011, 07:07 PM
Re: Brass work for Gladius in process. - by Doc - 08-29-2011, 08:53 PM
Re: Brass work for Gladius in process. - by Fidelis Sam - 12-11-2011, 07:21 AM
Re: Brass work for Gladius in process. - by Doc - 12-20-2011, 10:19 AM
Re: Brass work for Gladius in process. - by Charl - 03-07-2012, 07:16 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pompeii Gladius and Scabbard - Work in Progress sulla felix 71 12,689 03-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Robert