Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spathae tangs... long vs short
Thanks for the replies gents.

Quote:Late Roman/Migration period sword types is a huge subject, with many regional variations on hilt furniture. The archaeology is skewed towards weapons from the pagan 'barbarian' North west where you have culture of weapons deposits (either en masse or in inidividual graves), where imported Imperial blades were fitted with local style hilts. Best work to date on this aspect of sword hilt furniture is Behmer's "Das Zweischneidige Schwert der Germanischen Völkerwanderungszeit". Kirk Spencer (from 'MhyArmoury') produced this chronological chart based on Behmer's work which gives you an idea of the types of hilts in the North West from the 4th century onwards.
http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/download.php?id=31147
'Roman' hilt fittings of the period is a much more difficult study, as there is a paucity of weapons with intact hilt furniture to study. Iconography can help, but the vast majority of reconstructions I've seen have been based on Behmer-style fittings.

Hi Medicus, yes this paucity of later Roman hilt finds has be a bit of a stumbling block. I am aware of Behmer's work and that very useful chart that Kirk made, it's one of many he has done over the years. It's a real pity that we dont have as many good hilt finds from further south during this time period. As to the iconography you speak of I've been searching the forums for these for a while now, but have not come up with much. If possible, I'd be very grateful if you could direct me to some 4th and 5th century stuff where roman swords, and, especially hilts, are visible, and thanks again for you'r replies.

Messages In This Thread
Spathae tangs... long vs short - by StephenCurtin - 09-08-2011, 05:52 AM
Re: Spathae tangs... long vs short - by StephenCurtin - 09-08-2011, 07:47 PM
Re: Spathae tangs... long vs short - by Robert - 11-26-2011, 07:01 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Artillery: Catapult (scorpio) arrowheads with tangs Gunthamund Hasding 2 856 09-25-2020, 09:39 AM
Last Post: mcbishop
  Legionary short gladius to long gladius McDonald 10 2,261 09-21-2013, 09:36 PM
Last Post: Caius Artorius Castus
  Spathae info L C Cinna 11 3,278 11-14-2006, 09:34 AM
Last Post: Conal