Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late roman officer and Lorica Musculata!
That's the same thread I linked above, Matt! Actually I think most of the depictions I mentioned there have been subsequently mentioned here already, except for the Danubian stelae, which are interesting even if they (probably) don't show officers as such.

Aelius Septimus, for example, from Brigetio:

[img size=380x448]http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/images/stories/imagebase/FirstnameAB/lg_Aeliusseptimus.jpg[/img]

The body armour here has been interpreted as mail, but this seems to me very late for such a 'fitted' style with shoulder doubling (the stone is undated afaik, but looks to be at least late 2nd century and probably mid 3rd). However, if this is indeed a musculata we have yet more evidence of something strange going on around the shoulder area - what looks like an additional piece capping the deltoid. That this resembles the integral 'T shirt' effect seen on the Honorius diptych and elsewhere is perhaps no coincidence...
Nathan Ross

Messages In This Thread
Re: Late roman officer and Lorica Musculata! - by Nathan Ross - 09-01-2011, 01:25 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Leather Cuirass Lorica Musculata, I used to think no way but AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs 209 62,637 06-19-2013, 04:46 AM
Last Post: Vitruvius
  Major update by Travis Lee Clark Lorica Musculata Antonius Congianocus 6 4,452 01-06-2013, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Alexandr K
  Late roman lorica hamata? Virilis 18 4,560 12-18-2012, 12:25 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs