Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brass work for Gladius in process.
Hey Richard! I see...I'm sure it wasn't a disaster. Not having RAT really means something.
I would be able to use the tools and all...but I wouldn't know how to historically make it. The guys ( Crispvs) here are extremely helpful with all these little details! I want others to learn from it all. Maybe re try making a scabbard....or even the whole sword itself! I'd be more than happy to help you, as I made mine and know some tips ( not historical ) but look historical and have benefits compared to making it 100% accurate. ( I'll be honest guys....my handle is made from thick sheets of wood to prevent cracking from spreading...if any!!! ) You may already know, but there is a blog going on about making a segmentata! An update was posted yesterday. I am almost done drawing full sized diagrams onto paper, ( will copy to cardboard and then metal) which I got from Legio XX's site. If you just want plain old simple measurements with pics I'd be more than happy to help you with that too!!!! Confusedmile:

Thanks Philus,
I appreciate your remark as it is helpful, I agree with you completely. I didn't really do precise measurment... The semi punched/filed angle hole, top left is out,.....and the dots on the top right aren't perfect, nor is the line. The center punched hole isn't exact. I think a Roman metal smith would use something to draw out a rough guide, or he would be very good at being quite precise....so I think it's got enough bad's to equal a good no? ...and yes I believe you Wink Thanks again, anymore remarks are welcome Smile
As for you Crispvs!!! It will take me tomorrow to digest the information. Will work on it very soon, and will have updates in a few days maybe...not sure. Confusedmile: I'm grateful you have taken the time to help, thanks a lot! :lol:
Samuel J.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Brass work for Gladius in process. - by Joe - 08-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Re: Brass work for Gladius in process. - by Fidelis Sam - 08-04-2011, 06:27 AM
Re: Brass work for Gladius in process. - by Doc - 08-29-2011, 07:07 PM
Re: Brass work for Gladius in process. - by Doc - 08-29-2011, 08:53 PM
Re: Brass work for Gladius in process. - by Doc - 12-20-2011, 10:19 AM
Re: Brass work for Gladius in process. - by Charl - 03-07-2012, 07:16 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pompeii Gladius and Scabbard - Work in Progress sulla felix 71 12,688 03-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Robert