Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3rd - 4th Century stone hilted Spatha
Hi Vindex source for the jade, I picked it up from a shop in Castle Douglas I ground one side down to sit on the shoulders. It is very difficult to pick up stone items that fit the bill so it has been on the back burnner until I had all the right pieces. The ballance was just came together as I made the hilt compared to hard wood it works quite well for longer blades.
MDF you are right there is no evidence for stone gaurds, but I think I have pictures of full jade handle swords but cannot put hands on them from a Russian museum ( but knowen my luck could turn out to be bronze Big Grin :lol: :lol: ) Other than the chinese use of jade handled swords/daggers jade sword pieces are knowen from the Roman period.But if anyone out threr has any pics of what could be stone gaurds please post Big Grin I just used a drill at slow speed and finished the hole with files but it was a nerve racking job, I drilled 3 holes for the slot. If I feel that it will not work I will just replace the gaurd with bone or antler Big Grin
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)

Messages In This Thread
Re: 3rd - 4th Century stone hilted Spartha - by brennivs - tony drake - 08-01-2011, 12:49 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Re-Hilted Albion Tiberius Blade with New Scabbard Pointer 0 492 12-22-2020, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Pointer
  1st, 2nd or 3rd Century Roman Spatha Development Pointer 0 869 02-05-2018, 07:26 AM
  Sharpening 1st Century Gladius and Spatha Sword Points Pointer 0 1,408 08-22-2015, 06:59 AM