Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Article on the L. IX Hispana (Factual????)
Quote:My preferred scenario would see the Ninth Legion moving their tile production from Scalesceugh to Nijmegen. (I imagined, obviously mistakenly, that you were advocating a move from York to Nijmegen and back to Scalesceugh, a sequence which is unnecessarily convoluted imho.)

Sort of yes and no. Why? Because I can see no reason why part of the Ninth couldn't have gone Nijmegen (on their way back from somewhere, perhaps the Dacian Wars) -> Scalesceugh/Carlisle -> wherever, just as easily as Scalesceugh/Carlisle -> Nijmegen -> wherever. There certainly appears to be two stamping traditions in operation at the same time, but with such crummy dating evidence that could be illusory.

Of course, playing devil's advocate, that part of the legion that stamped IX might have been wiped out and only the VIIII bunch survive to stamp again. :twisted:

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there

Messages In This Thread
Re: Article on the L. IX Hispana (Factual????) - by mcbishop - 03-23-2011, 02:55 AM
Re: Article on the L. IX Hispana (Factual????) - by Steve Eckersley - 03-25-2011, 03:06 AM