Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Article on the L. IX Hispana (Factual????)
Quote:
Miles Russell post=285573 Wrote:Anyone claiming a 'definite' answer to the mystery of the ninth legion is clearly being antihistorical - but nobody actually is!
I guess you were mis-quoted when you said they were killed in a brutal ambush.

That was me actually, Lucy!

Quote:Having watched the documentary 'Rome's lost legion'...
Quote:The IX/VIIII was one of Rome most crack units & Premier, elite units in the roman army

The ninth seem to have been far from 'elite'! Maybe Tacitus' note about them being 'the weakest' (maxime invalidam) during Agricola's campaign actually referred to their low morale and general poor quality? Maybe they were disbanded because they weren't very good... :-D

Quote:i must commend Dr Russell on, if not the historical accuracy on parts of the documentary and his eventual conclusion,(we all see things differently) but sharing his opinions and his interpretation on this subject

All I can find of the documentary online is the little introductory trailer, so I can't comment on the content. But, Dr Russell - lose that trooper helmet! :wink:

- Nathan
Nathan Ross

Messages In This Thread
Re: Article on the L. IX Hispana (Factual????) - by Nathan Ross - 03-20-2011, 12:12 AM
Re: Article on the L. IX Hispana (Factual????) - by Steve Eckersley - 03-25-2011, 03:06 AM