Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Article on the L. IX Hispana (Factual????)
Quote:As for what Miles Russell did or did not say, I'm afraid my innate scepticism about the media makes me doubt that any of the things he is supposed to have said are a verbatim account; I have seen too many friends and colleagues' words mangled by the press.

Warranted scepticism, I think. For those who are interested, Miles Russell himself gave this assessment less than a year ago:

Quote:I know that a lot of frankly silly things have been said about the disappearance of the ninth, and let me just reiterate that I’m not one who believes they marched north to be swallowed up in the swirling mists of the Great Caledonian Forest (quite why anyone thinks the Roman government would have sent a single Legion northwards to its doom is beyond me)

The relevant posts, with Dr Russell's comments on Wikipedia, 'turning academic tides' and related issues, can be found here:

RAT - New Evidence for Annihilation of Ninth Legion?

It seems very much like he's been misquoted in the BBC article, or his name used to dignify another bit of questionable puffery. Unless he's changed his mind considerably in the last ten months? :???:

- Nathan
Nathan Ross

Messages In This Thread
Re: Article on the L. IX Hispana (Factual????) - by Nathan Ross - 03-17-2011, 05:03 PM
Re: Article on the L. IX Hispana (Factual????) - by Steve Eckersley - 03-25-2011, 03:06 AM