Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The influence of the Roman army on the military
Quote:Looking through the dictionary it seems all the military ranks were derived from Latin, though I admit, this is not really a direct influence of the Roman army. Military terms such as military, medic, defilade, enfilade, etc are also derived form latin.
Vincent
Checking a dictionary with etymologies is a good idea, but if you look more closely you will see that most of them entered English through French. This is because there was no existing jargon, and French culture was very prestigious at the time, so the English copied French words.

The Greeks, Macedonians, and Romans were a major influence on the development of modern armies, but so were many other things. The armies of 15th century Europe had a lot to contribute too.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Messages In This Thread
Re: The influence of the Roman army on the military - by Sean Manning - 03-15-2011, 07:16 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Britain- pre conquest Roman influence-help Caballo 5 1,740 11-23-2014, 12:30 PM
Last Post: Vindex
  Final Capstone Military History Paper- Roman Army usmc93 2 1,453 05-07-2013, 02:10 AM
Last Post: usmc93
  Roman Army Influence on Modern Warfare alastair 10 11,309 10-01-2007, 01:48 PM
Last Post: Conal