Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We\'re going to beat the legions...
Hi - This is a discussion we're having over on UNRV, but I thought some of the Hellenphiles here would be interested...

Quote:I had dinner with Philip Matyszak the other day (which was ace fun and enlightening) and we discussed the age-old Legion vs Phalanx thing.

We established that - basically - the legion was always going to win given the inherent weaknesses of the Greek or Macedonian phalanxes (IE - they only have to break in one place to be totally broken - even if they're on the offensive, greater and lesser reistance up and down the Roman line will cause disruptions of its own accord).

But I'm thinking - let's pretend we're in Rome: Total War World.

You're an ambitious Greek or Macedonian General. You've heard all about these Romans with their pila and swords and Pyrrhus has made it clear to you that the "old way of war" just won't work against these upstart Italians.

You don't have time to ape their training a la Mithridates... and you don't really want to. After all, the Hellenic way of war is better, right? But you know you have to adapt.

So - Is there a way for the Classic Greek Phalanx to adapt to face down the legions on equal terms.

Same for the Macedonians, circa Philip/Alexander when they were at the height of their power?

What would you do to change your aging system to give you a chance.

Change their weapons? Change their formation? Or just resign yourself to the fact that your polies will soon be crushed under the hobnailed calligae of Roman oppression?

Just one for fun - you've got a chance to alter the facts and use some historical hindsight to swing the balance in your favour!

Cheers

Russ

There's been some quite interesting hypotheses, one in particular I thought some of the re-enactors on here might have a feeling on...

Quote:What I'd be curious about is the vulnerability of a classical hoplon shield to a pilum. Tlassical greek heavy shield was much heavier than anything including, I think, the roman scutum. Metal facing, thick wood, ... this might prevent the kind of damages we've seen the macedonian and other peoples suffer from. Macedonian troops had indeed gone to lighter pelte shield, and gauls and other nations also had mostly lighter shields.

The full thread is here

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=12680

if you'd like to take a look.

Messages In This Thread
We\'re going to beat the legions... - by Lanista - 03-10-2011, 07:56 PM
Re: We\'re going to beat the legions... - by rrgg - 03-11-2011, 01:00 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Maccabees - How did they beat the Seleucids ? Theodosius the Great 24 6,486 03-18-2006, 04:00 PM
Last Post: Jona Lendering