Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maccabees - How did they beat the Seleucids ?
Do we have any sources that tell us how the Jewish rebels were able to route Seleucid armies ?

Did the Jews somehow manage to defeat the Macedonian phalanx ? Or was the whole conflict exclusively fought using guerilla tactics ?

Are there any specifics on any major battles ?
Jaime
Some people think that they developed formed infantry themselves.
But taking into account the topology and the possibility that the armies send against them contained mostly light troops, ambush and counter ambush usually favors the guerilla.
Kind regards
If I recall correctly, there was another revolt in Armenia, and perhaps the Seleucid armies were demoralized after the events in Egypt?
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Here is awargaming list with some history:
http://www.fanaticus.org/DBA/armies/II43/index.html
The dates given though are at a peried where the Hellenistic armies were at their very bottom and lacking certain heavy units.
Kind regards
The Macabees success was due in large part to their use of guerilla tactics, and the very high morale of their forces. The central plateau of Palestine is very rugged, and not well suited to either a phalanx or formed heavy cavalry. This played to the weakness of the Seleucid forces, and minimized the weaknesses of the Jewish forces. See Herzog and Gichon's Battles of the Bible . http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/185367 ... e&n=283155
Felix Wang
Possiblt this is a General or an officer.
I belive that proper use of partisan tactics was the key to their success.
Kind regards
Thanks, Hoplite14gr and Felix, for posting those sources. I'll do some reading up on the Maccabees :wink:
Jaime
Quote:If I recall correctly, there was another revolt in Armenia, and perhaps the Seleucid armies were demoralized after the events in Egypt?

There were a lot of revolts of different usurpers.

War between two regents - Lysias and Philip - in 163 or 162.
Revolt of Demetrius Soter in 162.
Revolt of Alexander Balas in 150.
Revolt of Demetrius Nicator in 145.

And in the same time Egyptian pharaoh Ptolemy Philometor waged war against Seleucids about 145.

Riots in Antioch under Demetrius Nicator in 145.
Revolt of Antioch VI in 145.
Revolt of Diodotus-Tryphon in 142.

And in the same time Demetrius Nicator waged war against Parthians about 140.

etc.

So the history of Seleucid empire is the history of endless civil wars and I`m not surprised at the success of Maccabees.
a.k.a. Yuriy Mitin
Great illustrations!
What book are these from..?
Thanks,
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
Quote:Do we have any sources that tell us how the Jewish rebels were able to route Seleucid armies ?

Did the Jews somehow manage to defeat the Macedonian phalanx ? Or was the whole conflict exclusively fought using guerilla tactics ?

Are there any specifics on any major battles ?

On a side issue, it's my understanding that by the end of the 2nd century AD the Seleucids and Ptolemies had largely abandonned the traditional Macedonian phalanx and adopted Roman-style tactics and weapons.
Regards,

Hisham
Quote:Great illustrations!
What book are these from..?
Thanks,
Johnny
Mine, Johnny - AMPW. Surprised you don't recognise them!

They are very hypothetical reconstructions, and the armoured cavalryman is, if correct, perhaps more likely to reflect the period after the initial revolt.

Quote:On a side issue, it's my understanding that by the end of the 2nd century AD the Seleucids and Ptolemies had largely abandonned the traditional Macedonian phalanx and adopted Roman-style tactics and weapons.
This has been argued, but it is quite uncertain how extensive these changes were. One of the main passages in dispute is II Maccabees' account of one of the battles which describes the Seleucid infantry as all in mail. Bar-Kochva (in The Seleucid Army and probably in his book on Judas Maccabaeus) thinks this is an exaggerated reference to the 5,000 men in Roman-style mail mentioned a few years earlier at Daphnai; Sekunda (in Hellenistic Infantry Reform in the 160s BC) takes it literally and assumes Roman equipment had been expanded in those few years from one regiment to the bulk of the army.

cheers,
Duncan
cheers,
Duncan
Greetings,
the Maccabean cavalryman looks good...the outfits are reminiscant of those worn by Alexander and his Companions...
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Quote:Greetings,
the Maccabean cavalryman looks good...the outfits are reminiscant of those worn by Alexander and his Companions...
regards
Arthes

I wonder how they could afford such arms and armor. I had pictured them as a rag-tag group of zealots attacking from hilltop passes.

Quote:it's my understanding that by the end of the 2nd century AD the Seleucids and Ptolemies had largely abandonned the traditional Macedonian phalanx and adopted Roman-style tactics and weapons.

You mean "BC", of course :wink:

I didn't know that. Sulla had faced a phalanx along with chariot support while fighting Mithradates of Pontus. Therefore, I assumed it was still in use by the rest of the Greek kingdoms as late as the early 1st century BC.
Jaime
Quote:I wonder how they could afford such arms and armor. I had pictured them as a rag-tag group of zealots attacking from hilltop passes.

I dont know in those days, but last time that my aunt visited the Holly Land, she was so shocked of seen that their Taxis were Mercedes Benz & a simple Hot -dog cost her $7.00 dollar us! Confusedhock: ... I had seen that middle class people had dificlty living a normal life in Jerusalem, even a sepulture it cost too much... :twisted:

This plate is a late battle:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y199/C ... img121.jpg

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Quote:
Quote:I wonder how they could afford such arms and armor. I had pictured them as a rag-tag group of zealots attacking from hilltop passes.

I dont know in those days, but last time that my aunt visited the Holly Land, she was so shocked of seen that their Taxis were Mercedes Benz

Ah, U.S. subsidies well spent. But you're right to point that out since the answer to my question is probably the same. The Maccabees were probably funded by an outside source, maybe one of the Seleucid factions vying for power. In other words, they were able to exploit the civil war climate to their advantage.

Makes sense.
Jaime

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did the Seleucids Invent Heavy Cavalry? Eleatic Guest 17 7,232 01-20-2018, 09:37 PM
Last Post: Alanus
  We\'re going to beat the legions... Lanista 22 4,952 04-04-2011, 04:45 PM
Last Post: markdienekes