Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Heavy Cavalry Fighting Techniques
Thank you gentlemen for this very nice and informative debate so far. Continue!

A question regarding horses charging at objects: of course a horse in its right mind would not do so, but I've heard time and again that horses can be trained to charge at formations. I believe Junkelmann trained his horses to do so, or else it's hearsay, can't remember. But if a horse is trained to charge at a formation which constantly opens to let it through, why would a horse not come to believe that this will happen every time?

We had three horses present at LRE III, each in various stages of training (below). One would pass through our ranks without difficulty, the second did this best when following the first, but the third would almost all the time shy away, even when being lead on foot.
I could easily accapt that after a lot of training, each horse would happily charge a formation that would only open at the last minute. Then, in batle, it would charge an enemy formation, not realising that this would stab and fail to open.

Ideas?

[attachment=61]2.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=60]3.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=62]1.JPG[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Re: Roman Heavy Cavalry Fighting Techniques - by Robert Vermaat - 01-27-2011, 09:14 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gallienus mobile heavy cavalry - Mid 3rd century Garys152 3 2,652 11-02-2016, 11:19 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  Update on the Spatha and Gladius fighting techniques! Martin Wallgren 96 29,893 08-14-2014, 10:02 PM
Last Post: john m roberts
  heavy cavalry engaging heavy cavalry Calvo 220 37,234 05-11-2014, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Alanus