Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Heavy Cavalry Fighting Techniques
I haven't done you guys the courtesy of reading this thread in detail as yet - apologies. I will - but I know if I don't respond now, I'll forget (old man blues).

I'm trying to get a sense of how Roman super-heavy cavalry were desired to function on a third - fifth century battlefield. Does anyone know of a period source that prescribes how they should be used?

My current impression is that the horse was meant to get the rider from the start-point to the enemy swiftly to somewhat thwart the defensive missile barrage. Once in front of the enemy (infantry e.g.) they fight (mounted) as taller, stronger, heavier and harder-to-wound infantry. I also gather the idea of a cavalry unit as a panzerfaust smashing through obstacles of all kinds is a 20th-century concept where tanks, armoured personnel carriers and helicopters do dramatically penetrate defensive lines.

Cheers
Spurius Papirius Cursor (Howard Russell)
"Life is still worthwhile if you just smile."
(Turner, Parsons, Chaplin)

Messages In This Thread
Re: Roman Heavy Cavalry Fighting Techniques - by Spurius Papirius Cursor - 01-26-2011, 06:49 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gallienus mobile heavy cavalry - Mid 3rd century Garys152 3 2,651 11-02-2016, 11:19 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  Update on the Spatha and Gladius fighting techniques! Martin Wallgren 96 29,877 08-14-2014, 10:02 PM
Last Post: john m roberts
  heavy cavalry engaging heavy cavalry Calvo 220 37,152 05-11-2014, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Alanus