Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions about several pieces of clothing
Quote:- According to Legio XX's website The tunica was "worn bloused over a cord or tied belt to raise the hem above the knee". What kind of cords (material, thickness, etcetera) and what kind of belts (length, width, buckle, strap, etcetera) were those? What did they look like?

If you find out, let us know! Generally it is hidden by the bagginess of the tunic. There is at least one grave stele (early 2nd century AD?) that shows what seems to be a cloth tie belt, maybe an inch to an inch and a half wide, tied in a square knot. I suspect most of these were usually purpose woven, but got nothing to back that up. I tend to make them by sewing a long narrow tube of linen, and turning it inside-out. (Tunic-making often leaves leftover bands of fabric that are of limited use, but perfect for these.) Anything like that is going to be better than cotton cord or sisal rope! More comfortable, too.

Quote:I guess the balteus was worn over the lorica so they probably used a second, simpler belt for the tunica?

That's the going theory. Though an off-duty soldier, unarmored, would wear his military belt right over his tunic, or over a waistband (fascia ventralis).

Quote:- In the Valkhof museum in Nijmegen I saw a reconstruction of a Roman horseman with a torc around his neck. I always thought torcs were only worn by Celts and especially Gauls. Did Romans (legionaries or other troops) wear them too or should the horseman be considered a Gaulish auxiliary who added some aspects of his native culture to his Roman equipment?

Both, I should think! Torcs were certainly awarded for valor, and I suspect they could be taken as loot, too, or simply worn as local fashion. However, I don't know what Celtic custom said about wearing a torc--perhaps even among them it was only for a proven warrior, etc. So maybe not just a neato trinket you could pick up in the marketplace. Also, beware of reconstructions: This particular detail could be just something the display-builder threw in, though I *think* it is based on at least one grave stele.

Vale,

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/

Messages In This Thread
Re: Questions about several pieces of clothing - by Matthew Amt - 11-08-2010, 03:05 AM