Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions about several pieces of clothing
Hello Frank.

Over the past ten years I collected as much of the evidence that I could find on military clothing. This information has been published in several volumes by Osprey under the heading 'Roman Military Clothing' and in a single much larger volume published more recently by The History Press 'Roman Military Dress' 2009, which has the more up to date evidence. These books should help you decide what you want and answer most of your questions.

To be honest in some cases we do not know what the real thing looked like. This applies to the design of garments more than anything else as in some cases we only have a name mentioned in literature. For example a sagum looks very similar to a lacerna or an abolla

Colour, in particular tunic colour more than other clothing items is a very contentious issue amongst re-enactors more than anyone else. This is because they have tended to divide into various camps over the years and defend their chosen colour with fanatical zeal. Again I found as much evidence as I could on this subject and the latest book has all this evidence so you can make up your own mind. Again in some cases there will not be clear answers to your questions because the evidence is simply not there. For example I do not know of any surviving focale and once more there is little in the way of evidence for their colour.

With regards to caligae an awful lot of re-constructions do not appear to me to be based on original finds and the leather also tends to be too thick. The originals often appear very fragile by comparison. I would advise in all cases to look at original finds first rather than modern copies, this applies to clothing too. Martin Moser who is on this site knows far more than me on the subject of caligae and makes excellent footwear. I just wish I could afford some myself!

As you live in the Netherlands the good and very helpful guys from the Gemina Project will also be able to assist. They might even try and recruit you!

Best wishes in your search

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Questions about several pieces of clothing - by Graham Sumner - 11-02-2010, 02:36 AM