Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Book on the Jewish Revolts against Rome
I must admit that I do not share the author's opinion, that, whereas "the fight in the Teutoberger Wald has received a good deal of attention from military historians", the Jewish Revolt(s) "have been primarily tackled by historians exclusively involved with the religious implications" (p. 1). In my opinion, both have been addressed equally. Certainly, most modern accounts of Roman siege warfare confine themselves to a description of a Jewish War siege (sometimes Jotapata, sometimes Jerusalem, mostly Masada).

So I do not share his pessimism, that "Rome's hard-fought, brutal subjugation of the three (sic) Jewish revolts in the first and second centuries A.D. comprises an unaccountably blank chapter in the literature on early imperial Roman combat operations" (p. 1).

But (as we've found more than once before) one has to drum up interest in a new book somehow. :roll: I note (with some trepidation) the author's proud boast that he has an "ability to extrapolate scenarios from scanty or disjointed data" (p. 3) -- isn't that what historical novelists do?
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread
Re: New Book on the Jewish Revolts against Rome - by D B Campbell - 09-23-2010, 12:50 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rome and parthia book Quintus Aurelius Lepidus 1 1,224 08-29-2013, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Book on History Of Rome Narukami 5 2,445 12-28-2012, 03:49 AM
Last Post: ANTONIVS MAGNVS
  New Book: Rome And The Sword Narukami 2 1,510 01-01-2012, 12:28 AM
Last Post: Narukami