Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friendly fire (don\'t use your dory underhanded in a phalanx)
Quote:I'm pretty sure I've seen your group level spears via a method I agree with where you hold the spear against your shoulder with the hand gripping the shaft thumb down, then simply bring the hand out and up around your head. If you do this you know what I mean, if not I'll need to explain more. The same thing can be done in a very tight space by simply gripping the shaft between thumb and forefinger, palm forward, and raising the hand straight up over your head until the sauroter clears your shoulder and the spear falls forewards. Tinker with this and you'll see it works, so there is no need for the third rankers to fight underhand.
Yes but we do this before synaspismos and tightening the formation

Quote:I should be clear that I think hoplites did fight underhand, but not in tight phalanxes. If I were holding up my dory the whole battle, I'd want to change grip as soon as the other side broke and I could. With room to work the underhand grip has real advantages, some described above. It may have actually accounted for more killed hoplites during the pursuit.
Yes agree no underhand in tight phalanx

The think that I want to research is (please see photo in the middle) this: http://spartasmores.gr/index.files/Page849.htm
Here there are no other people behind 3rd rank.

My question is what to do if 1st 2nd get out of action and 4rth 5th pressure 3rd ranker who suddenly has to engage and level his spear.
No clear view on this issue for me yet.

Kind regards

Messages In This Thread
Re: Friendly fire (don\'t use your dory underhanded in a phalanx) - by hoplite14gr - 07-15-2010, 11:40 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  dory Quintus Aurelius Lepidus 19 4,244 12-23-2010, 07:18 PM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite
  The Dory PMBardunias 46 9,258 08-19-2009, 02:10 PM
Last Post: Paralus
  Friendly Fire, Blue-on-Blue in ancient battles? Immortales 7 2,364 06-30-2009, 07:48 PM
Last Post: PMBardunias