Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New evidence for annihilation of Ninth Legion in Britain?
Quote:
Vortigern Studies:14jtec0i Wrote:For instance in the current books by Stuart Laycock.
Are you referring to his forthcoming UnRoman Britain or his earlier ones, Britannia - The Failed State: Tribal Conflict and the End of Roman Britain and Warlords: The Struggle for Power in Post-Roman Britain .. the latter two are unread on my to-read shelf a the moment?
I'm sure there was a thread on here about some guy who was harping about a conspiracy of silence about the extent of British kingship during Roman rule, I've traweled but can't track it down.
All three of them I think, but mostly his first one , 'Britannia'.
As to that conspiracy thread, best leave it there... :?
Quote:I see our old friend Miles Russell has popped up in this connection, too: http://www.amazon.co.uk/UnRoman-Britain-Stuart-Laycock/dp/0752455664
I can't say anything about this one, it's the first he didn't let me read before publication.. Cry But I've been a bit critical of certain parts in his earlier books, so that may explain it. :wink: The thing is, Stuart (and Miles too I think) propose that Britain was somehow different from other parts of the empire, and that what we think went for other provinces, somehow was different in Britain. For instance, Stuart proposed that the former British tribes somehow retained their identity throughout the Roman occupation, and that they had inner-provincial tribal border conflicts during that period. Also, Stuart claimed that on the grounds of archaeological evidence (military buckles) he could show that the civitates had begun to re-arm during the later 4th century, with or without the acquiesce of Roman authorities. To me, such conclusions go to far for me on the available evidence. How could any Roman authority (except when in a time of civil war or similar period of low effectiveness) allow that two civitates raided each others territory? I mean, during the 2nd and 3rd centuries? Unthinkable. Laycock and Miles want to show, I think, how that was possible in that upcoming book. I just hope that it’s not going to be about Geoffrey of Monmouth and his ‘British kings’ all over again..
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Re: New evidence for annihilation of Ninth Legion in Britain? - by Robert Vermaat - 08-25-2010, 07:07 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Destruction Evidence for the Fall of Roman Britain? Nathan Ross 2 1,361 04-13-2018, 09:11 AM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  First evidence for Julius Caesar's invasion of Britain discovered kavan 1 1,340 11-29-2017, 02:59 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  The Roman Ninth legion (Legio Nona Hispana) Pons Aelius 8 2,759 04-30-2014, 01:39 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius