Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Roman Ninth legion (Legio Nona Hispana)
Hello everyone dure to all the films, book and recent reinterest in what might of happened to the Ninth Legion what is everyones viewpoint/ theory/ take on what might of happened to them.
Pons Aelius=Mr Jonathan Auty
They were transferred to Raetia last I checked.

http://www.livius.org/le-lh/legio/ix_hispana.html
If you search the site you will find discussions related to this and a link to the article written by Dr Duncan Campbell which should answer your query in full
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Just in case you have some trouble finding it as I did, here's the link to Dr Duncan Cambells article, Excellent bit of Sleuthing...

The Fate of the Ninth
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Quote:They were transferred to Raetia last I checked.

http://www.livius.org/le-lh/legio/ix_hispana.html

Although interesting, I don't know how much credit I would give to someone who marks out the Roman numeral "9" as VIIII haha! I'm sure there is some reasonable explanation behind the disappearance of the Ninth Legion such as disbandment to account for another legion's loses or, as Evan mentioned, transferred and lost in the records. Also, Cassius Dio mentions a legion that was destroyed in Armenia, which many believe to have been the Ninth.
"The strong did what they could, the weak suffered what they must."

- Thucydides

Sean Cantrell
Northern Michigan
Well it appears in Raetia at the same time VI Victrix appears in Britain.
Quote:I don't know how much credit I would give to someone who marks out the Roman numeral "9" as VIIII haha!

That would include the tilemakers of the actual 9th Legion then?... ;-)

[attachment=9737]legviiii.jpg[/attachment]

(The Roman numeral 9 was more commonly written as VIIII than IX, particularly during the first couple of centuries AD.)

Meanwhile, regarding the OP, cf these threads:

New evidence for annihilation of Ninth Legion in Britain?

Article on the L. IX Hispana (Factual????)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Nathan Ross
Quote:
Ariovistus Togodubnus post=354463 Wrote:I don't know how much credit I would give to someone who marks out the Roman numeral "9" as VIIII haha!

That would include the tilemakers of the actual 9th Legion then?... ;-)

[attachment=9737]legviiii.jpg[/attachment]

(The Roman numeral 9 was more commonly written as VIIII than IX, particularly during the first couple of centuries AD.)

Touché! I have never seen it written like that before, I apologize for my ignorance. Come to think of it, I have seen it engraved like that, just never thought much of it until now! But if I am not mistaken it has been done both ways (see pictures below).

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"The strong did what they could, the weak suffered what they must."

- Thucydides

Sean Cantrell
Northern Michigan
There have been tiles found belonging to the 9th legion with both types of name stamp on them, in fact some have even been found on the earlier frontier that crossed northern Britain before Hadrian;s Wall was built.
This frontier is known as the 255 line going from coast to coast and crossing Hadrian's Wall but may well be of Trajianic date, it does however have mile fortlets and larger forts very similar to the system copied by Hadrian some 25 years later.
The idea of just where the ninth did end its days is a subject that may never be explained even after we read Dr. Duncan Campbell and all the others who have put forward their theories about the subject.
Brian Stobbs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Legio IX Hispana origins Konstantin Ankilov 4 1,399 03-31-2018, 05:59 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell
  New evidence for annihilation of Ninth Legion in Britain? ParthianBow 94 23,462 11-22-2010, 10:40 AM
Last Post: ParthianBow
  Was the Legio IX Hispana stationed on the danube at the- Steakslim 9 2,384 12-06-2008, 12:00 AM
Last Post: Jona Lendering