Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New evidence for annihilation of Ninth Legion in Britain?
Hi Conal,

Quote:
Vortigern Studies:y75qsn56 Wrote:Maybe there is some tide of academic opinion returning to a view that the British were more independent (culturally and politically) under Roman rule - a view that I do not share, btw - but so far I have not seen any evidence of any turning academic tide when it comes to the descruction of VIIII Hispana on British soil. Much less that 'strong evidence' quoted in that book!
Robert
Where is this tide ... I wouldn't mind a few references please as I like to read all theories, even the off the wall ones?
Regards
Conal

For instance in the current books by Stuart Laycock. Apparently his writing were not greated with a wall of scepticism, but with approval from several historian (which he wrote about in our correspondence). I'm not totally of that opinion: I can't, for instance, see the British cities being guarded by armed civilians or otherwise non-military, during the late 4th century. But maybe I'm missing something.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Re: New evidence for annihilation of Ninth Legion in Britain? - by Robert Vermaat - 08-24-2010, 03:24 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Destruction Evidence for the Fall of Roman Britain? Nathan Ross 2 1,381 04-13-2018, 09:11 AM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  First evidence for Julius Caesar's invasion of Britain discovered kavan 1 1,346 11-29-2017, 02:59 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  The Roman Ninth legion (Legio Nona Hispana) Pons Aelius 8 2,779 04-30-2014, 01:39 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius