Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New evidence for annihilation of Ninth Legion in Britain?
I think that if we want to look for evidence about the later period of the Ninth Legion in Britain, it would be a good thing for Archaeologists to get out their Trowels and go look for it along the earlier frontier discovered by the late Raymond Selkirk known as his 255 degree line.
It was a frontier very well known to Hadrian possibly built by Trajan, and all he did when he came here was to swing this earlier line around on it's axis point where the two lines now cross about 1-5 miles west of the fort of Vindobala ( Rudchester )
Where I mention it may have been built by Trajan is where it might be considered that the original idea for this frontier may have been concieved in the late Flavian period when the withdrawal from Scotland came in around AD98.
Where I have said earlier that I consider the answer lies in mid Cumbria, this is indeed the heart land of the west Brgantian tribes who were well known for collaberation with the Novantii and Selgovii just to the north of the Solway.
Brian Stobbs

Messages In This Thread
Re: New evidence for annihilation of Ninth Legion in Britain? - by PhilusEstilius - 04-28-2010, 10:56 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Destruction Evidence for the Fall of Roman Britain? Nathan Ross 2 1,381 04-13-2018, 09:11 AM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  First evidence for Julius Caesar's invasion of Britain discovered kavan 1 1,346 11-29-2017, 02:59 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  The Roman Ninth legion (Legio Nona Hispana) Pons Aelius 8 2,779 04-30-2014, 01:39 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius