Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pompeii Gladius and Scabbard - Work in Progress
Byron,

That is how Brian does them. However, as Jurjen pointed out its not exactly how the Romans did theirs. It is easier using foil metal since it can be hand worked as opposed to having to punch/emboss/use a die in the same fashion that is described in B&C 2 about the belt plates with animals chasing each other in a circle.

However, back to Jurjen's idea, I plan when I can muster up the courage to make the Pompeii plates in silver using the same thin silver sheet then backed onto brass. I think that this is one instant in which this backing may seem plausible (some pictures show a backing while others do not) but even here, the decoration and figures are stamped out first so the silver could not be too thin either.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo

Messages In This Thread
Re: Pompeii Gladius and Scabbard - Work in Progress - by Doc - 02-13-2010, 06:41 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1st Century Roman Fulham Gladius Sword and Scabbard Pointer 4 1,790 07-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Searching For Scabbard and Gladius PARTS Pointer 19 5,181 02-16-2013, 10:22 AM
Last Post: Pointer
  Gladius Type - Pompeii or Mainz? Gatorsailor 12 3,703 02-08-2013, 08:57 PM
Last Post: jvrjenivs