Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pompeii Gladius and Scabbard - Work in Progress
Ade, Robert and Tony,

Thanks for the very helpful input. I see what you mean regarding the nails, and this makes a lot of sense, particularly if the nails are clenched on the inside of the scabbard. It has always puzzled me how these lockets were securely fixed to the wooden scabbard, and this is now obvious :oops: Luckily this now allows me to strip off the offending rivets and parts and to have another go at re-making the thin bands which I have never been entirely happy with.

Tony - I think if I use brass nails I could use the blade itself as the "anvil" to clench the nails inside the scabbard? Should not damage the blade I think?

Robert - If you look at the position of the nails then there must have been thin bands either side of the suspension bands I think? The suspension band alone would leave the nail heads exposed?

Thank goodness I had got no further with the project Confusedhock:
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF

Messages In This Thread
Re: Pompeii Gladius and Scabbard - Work in Progress - by sulla felix - 02-10-2010, 12:23 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1st Century Roman Fulham Gladius Sword and Scabbard Pointer 4 1,790 07-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Searching For Scabbard and Gladius PARTS Pointer 19 5,181 02-16-2013, 10:22 AM
Last Post: Pointer
  Gladius Type - Pompeii or Mainz? Gatorsailor 12 3,703 02-08-2013, 08:57 PM
Last Post: jvrjenivs