Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Julian the Apostate\'s army
I have read that when Julian the Apostate attacked the Sasanid Persians in 363, he brought a very large army of some 90,000 men. But I'm having a hard time finding information on the composition of this army. I just finished reading Ammianus' account, and he isn't very specific about the types of men and equipment.

1 - Were cataphracts a common feature of Roman armies at this point, or was this later? I seem to remember reading that Gallienus instituted heavier cavalry during his reign in order to counter the heavy Persian cavalry his father's armies faced, but I don't know how regularly these units were featured. I know that cataphracts were the heart and soul of the Byzantine armies after the Western empire fell in 476, but does anyone know when they started gaining prominence?

2 - Were Julian's troops mostly citizens of the empire, or did he have large allied contingents? I know he asked the Armenian king to provide troops when he was preparing for the campaign, but again, Ammianus isn't very specific.

Messages In This Thread
Julian the Apostate\'s army - by Justin of the New Yorkii - 08-25-2009, 10:53 PM
Re: Julian the Apostate\'s army - by Pompieus - 08-28-2009, 06:45 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Primani Legion of Julian\'s Army JeffF 1 2,448 01-30-2011, 07:25 PM
Last Post: Spurius Papirius Cursor
  Julian II (the Apostate) and his policies Iulus 76 15,949 08-15-2007, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Nicholas Gaukroger