Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Primani Legion of Julian\'s Army
Is this legion, the Primani, of Julian's army at the Battle of Strasbourg (also known as the Battle of Argentoratum) the Legio I Minervia or a part of it that became a legion of the field army of the 4th century or was it of or from one of the other I Legions? What is the translation of the latin word 'Primani?'

Thanks,

Jeff
Hi Jeff

Don't know if this helps - I came across this in a 1983 article by Robert Grigg (p. 133, n. 11):

"The titles and stations of some of the units in the Comitatus and Pseudocomitatus in the Not. Dig. have helped to link them to former legions..."

Primani:
(a) Late unit title in the Not. Dig.:....Primani
(b) Former legionary title:.....................Leg. I Italica
© Late unit emblem in the Not. Dig.:...knotted rope (?), Not. Or. vi, 5
(d) Former legionary badge:.....................boar or hippocamp

Minervia:
(a) Late unit title in the Not. Dig.:....Minervia
(b) Former legionary title:.....................Leg. I Minerva
© Late unit emblem in the Not. Dig.:...essentially blank, Not. Or. ix, 15
(d) Former legionary badge:.....................Minerva or ram

(Full citation)

Grigg, R 1983, ‘Inconsistency and lassitude: the shield emblems of the Notitia Dignitatum’, The Journal of Roman Studies, vol. 73, pp. 132-142, viewed 30 January 2011, <http://www.jstor.org/stable/300077>.

I think primani might just mean "firsts", but I was amused that GoogleTranslate gave "The First Cut" - make of that what you will.

Cheers
Spurius Papirius Cursor (Howard Russell)
"Life is still worthwhile if you just smile."
(Turner, Parsons, Chaplin)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Julian the Apostate\'s army Justin of the New Yorkii 7 2,942 08-29-2009, 04:42 AM
Last Post: Justin of the New Yorkii
  Primani/Priminia, who knows more? TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS 0 1,121 04-25-2007, 09:05 AM
Last Post: TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS