Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Improve Grip of Caligae on Wooden Floor?
Here is the situation that I need suggestions about. I'm giving a presentation at a college in their gymnasium. It has varnished wooden floors because it's a basketball court. I've previously given presentations at schools in their gyms but they always covered the floor in a thick rubber mat. (See the attached photo.) Thus I was able to wear my hobnailed caligae. Not this time. I thought ahead to the possiblity of this scenario so last year I ordered a second pair of caligae with no hobnails.

Here's the problem. Leather on varnished wooden floors is like ice skating. I could wear the hobnailed caligae and have a good grip on the wooden floor, but I wouldn't be invited back after damaging their property. What can I do to get a better grip? I thought about taking some sandpaper to the bottom of the caligae and scuffing up the smooth leather surface in hopes that would provide better traction.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, particularly anyone who has had to address the same problem and knows what works!

Randy Sampson

Messages In This Thread
How to Improve Grip of Caligae on Wooden Floor? - by rszebras - 02-15-2009, 02:12 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Deepeeka is willing to improve deepeeka 18 3,513 03-21-2006, 03:51 PM
Last Post: Dan Diffendale