Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ancient helmets from Bulgaria
Quote:The beotian helmet is unique both for Bulgaria and for Ancient warfare. When the helmet was send to me for exploration, its neckgard make me think that it was an addition. Latter I see on different auctions helmets from Pylos tipe with similar parts for protection that no doubt show that this helmet is original. I don’t think that this helmet is locally made. It is a Macedonian import remains from a march to the north.

So how does that neckguard attach to the helmet itself? Is it inside, under the back rim? Also, could you comment on how much the helmet has been restored?

When I saw it, I was immediately reminded of this picture that I found some time ago on the internet. Is this just a different picture of the same helmet?

http://antiquemilitaryhistory.com/image ... helmet.jpg
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

Messages In This Thread
Ancient helmets from Bulgaria - by gladiator - 02-08-2009, 05:58 AM
Re: Ancient helmets from Bulgaria - by MeinPanzer - 02-08-2009, 06:16 AM
Re: Ancient helmets from Bulgaria - by gladiator - 02-08-2009, 07:00 AM
Re: Ancient helmets from Bulgaria - by gladiator - 02-08-2009, 07:05 AM
Re: Ancient helmets from Bulgaria - by MeinPanzer - 02-08-2009, 09:09 PM
Re: Ancient helmets from Bulgaria - by gladiator - 02-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Re: Ancient helmets from Bulgaria - by MeinPanzer - 02-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Re: Ancient helmets from Bulgaria - by gladiator - 02-17-2009, 02:24 PM