Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legionary Officers and NCOs - Late Roman Army (284 - 565 AD)
Quote:Hi Robert
Vortigern Studies:33hahqvi Wrote:...Angus McBride also once painted a draconarius (below), but I doubt that he would have survived for very long..
How much compensatory body defence would he have needed, then, if survival had been the issue and not quick-replacement?
For the sake of being complete I must draw attention to a reference by Vegetius, who seems to see the draconarius (and indeed every signifer) as being unarmoured..

Vegetius, Epitoma rei militaris 1.20:
... Quid ipsi draconarii atque signiferi, qui sinistra manu hastas gubernant, in proelio facient, quorum et capita nuda constant et pectora? ...
... What are the dragonbearers and standardbearers, which hold spears in their left hand, to do in battle, whose heads and breasts are naked ? ...'

I don't believe they were. But then, Vegetius wrote that all Late Roman soldiers threw their armour away, which was evidently incorrect.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Re: Legionary Officers and NCOs - Late Roman Army (284 - 565 AD) - by Robert Vermaat - 11-15-2010, 08:42 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Roman Army during the 5th century Robert Vermaat 89 18,034 01-11-2024, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Magister_Officiorum13241
  Late Roman Army Ranks - Numeri/Limitanei jmsilvacross 14 2,030 11-17-2021, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Steven James
  Late Roman Army - seniores and iuniores Robert Vermaat 46 21,294 10-15-2020, 10:16 PM
Last Post: Steven James