Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legionary Officers and NCOs - Late Roman Army (284 - 565 AD)
I have posted elsewhere my theory that the Draco standard's purpose was to denote the presence of the Emperor, even if he were not physically present with the army.

There are a number of references in Ammianus to the draco standards being purple in colour, which would appear to denote an imperial connection.

I've yet to find any reference to the draco being used for signalling purposes apart from in Vegetius, and even then the references appear to refer to the vexillium standard, which itself appears to have denoted the presence of the unit it belonged to. Although even then there is this reference in Ammianus that suggests that when auxilia (and possibly the Legiones) were operating as a pair (we often hear in Ammianus that various units were paired with each other) then they shared the same vexillium standard-

'Lastly Charietto himself, by boldly opposing his body and by reproachful words,
held back his retreating men, and by confidence caused by his long stand, tried
to wipe out shame and disgrace; but fell pierced by a fatal shaft. After his
death the standard of the Eruli and Batavians was taken, which the barbarians
with insulting cries and dancing with joy frequently raised on high and
displayed, until after hard struggles it was recovered.' AMM Bk27 1, 5/6

'Post cuius interitum Erulorum Batavorumque vexillum direptum, quod insultando
tripudiantes barbari crebro sublatum altius ostendebant, post certamina receptum
est magna.'
Adrian Coombs-Hoar

Messages In This Thread
Re: Legionary Officers and NCOs - Late Roman Army (284 - 565 AD) - by ValentinianVictrix - 11-15-2010, 11:22 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Roman Army during the 5th century Robert Vermaat 89 18,034 01-11-2024, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Magister_Officiorum13241
  Late Roman Army Ranks - Numeri/Limitanei jmsilvacross 14 2,030 11-17-2021, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Steven James
  Late Roman Army - seniores and iuniores Robert Vermaat 46 21,295 10-15-2020, 10:16 PM
Last Post: Steven James