Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Find It Fulham Scabbard Re-Fit - Work In Progress
Alexander, those are the drawings i have. I have interpreted the white zones with little dots as remaining of thin metal plates. The pattern is the same as the chape and mouth piece are represented, so i guess is the same material.

And if you see the cross section depicted, it's ilogical and dificult to bend the wood in that way.

Mikks in his description says the same, but with interrogations, because probably he haven't saw the piece directly. He says is bronze, so probably not contrasting colours, and all the piece is gold coloured.

About the second sword, you can see some remaining of a metal plate under the suspension band and over the blade (black colour in the picture). Under the palmette of the chape, seems too litle remaining of plate.

I don't know why (fashion?) but the covering with metal plates were very popular for Mainz swords.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Find It Fulham Scabbard Re-Fit - Work In Progress - by LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS - 06-12-2008, 07:30 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1st Century Roman Fulham Gladius Sword and Scabbard Pointer 4 1,767 07-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Creating a Fulham Scabbard With Reprousse~ Plates Pointer 5 2,281 09-14-2017, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Pompeii Gladius and Scabbard - Work in Progress sulla felix 71 12,702 03-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Robert