Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A new reconstitution of the manubalista of Xanten
I try to explain you what are my decisions for the manubalista. We have discover just the capitulum. My proposition is not to make an other same reconstitution of all the manubalista which we can see in many group. While the rest have benn not find, I prefer to think that the others parts are made may be made like the cheirobalistra of Heron. I Know the text, because I make an edition of it for my Master II ans I prepare now a thesis on the romans catapults, with many hypothesis which are may be not real, but as me, you know that the catapult of Lyon which seems a cheirobalistra has the name of a little chariot for romans soldiers befor Michel Feugères identifies it... There is many problems on the catapults. My problem is that I can't buid an onager, but I try to make it by computer with the laboratory of the Plan of Rome of the university of Caen, in which I work too near my post of latin teacher. If you speak of the arms. Why I take iron and wood and with a curve. When I examine the mesures of the find of Xanten, I have been surprise that these are the same proportions of the text of Vitruvius. So may be It'is possible that they use the type of arms which are descript in the text of heron. It's an hypothesis. I thaink that the proportions of all the catapult are better with them than with strong but bigger arms in wood. Thanks for your suggestions and continue. Itt's good for me. Sorry for my english. It's very good that very known persons like you and Aitor can said something on my work. Do make yourself somes reconstitution of catapult. I have see your works in many scientifical review with Alan Wilkins.
Titus Flavius Pupinius Rufus
Praefectus Fabrum LEG VIII AUGUSTA
Emmanuel Fourré

Messages In This Thread
Re: A new reconstitution of the manubalista of Xanten - by Emmanuel - 05-05-2008, 07:13 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  chirobaliste and manubalista Emmanuel 0 1,355 08-20-2007, 07:37 AM
Last Post: Emmanuel