Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greek writings of Celtic names...
I'm glad you have found my brief comments useful :wink:

When I talked about "Etruscan" pronunciation or "Greek" pronunciation, I was not simply referring to the fact that Platon pronounced "B" and "AI" where a contemporary Greek pronounces "V" and "E", but to the fact that ancients in general took little trouble to record faithfully the words of their neighbours. For example, they called "Dareios" a Persian king whose real name would be spelled somewhat closer to "Darayavaus" and "Artaxerxes" a man whose name was "Arta-Khshatra".

Regarding the spelling in Greek and the difference in the shapes of letters (C vs. Σ), this is not just a phenomenon of evolution in time, but also a matter of geographical position: Greeks from different cities would use different alphabets, called epichoric (local) alphabets. There is an image around here in the "Greek" forum showing a few examples. My point is that you should probably aim at consistency. If your Korisios chose to spell his name with lunar sigma (in the form KOPICIOC), than he would certainly use this form of the letter elsewhere as well, for example in ANC.

Regarding the ending -is: let me go to the library sometime next week and grab hold of the Celtic manual (is is a rather antiquated book, but has some easy-to-use tables. I'm sure knowledge has progressed much since the publication of the book and other people may give you more accurate - or at least more modern - advice in the matter). The way Indo-European languages work is that they add "endings" to "stems"/"roots". For example, in Orgetorix (I'll use Latin alphabet for more clarity), one can identify the stem Orgetorig- (itself a compound of Orgeto- and rig-) and the ending -s (Nominative animate). So, in order to obtain the Genitive, one should add the specific ending (let's say, for now - is) to the stem: Orgetorigis.

Let me warn you, though, before you use this form, that I am not absolutely certain about the Celtic root (if it ends in -c or in -g), nor about the ending. :lol:
Me non oracula certum sed mors certa facit.
Kaeso Otacillianus // Cristian Ghita

Messages In This Thread
Re: Greek writings of Celtic names... - by KaesoOtacillianus - 04-20-2008, 04:11 PM
Son of - by Urselius - 04-21-2008, 11:32 AM
Re: Son of - by Folkert van Wijk - 05-17-2008, 02:28 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Appropriate Greek Names Harrisonfletch 2 1,027 05-06-2020, 01:23 PM
Last Post: Harrisonfletch
  Greek names - did they REALLY mean that? Anatol Wyss 2 1,141 12-07-2019, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Anatol Wyss
  Lexicon of Greek Personal Names Arthes 17 4,760 02-12-2007, 05:34 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr