Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Forts in Northeast England - Wikipedia Articles
Understood. I know they did not build roads as they went, but imagine this scenario. A certain part of britain has already been taken, forts (the permanent ones) established, but roads are as of yet unbuilt. Although the territorium is roman, there may still be scattered enemy groups hiding about in the forest and fields from last months major battle which the roman army has, as of yet, been unable to fully subdue.

In this case, seeing as the permament forts have already been built (the ones that were later rebuilt in stone), would it be possible road construction commenced anyway, but due to enemy presence in the area (even if light), would take extra care by building temporary forts as the road went along? The construction crews/slaves/soldiers would have to sleep somewhere, might as well be in a marching camp with all that timber lying around, which, incidently was cut down to make way for the road Big Grin

Off course, according to ockham's razor the simplest explanation is the most probable one, which off course is yours and the straight line. I just wanted to make sure my point is well explained before we discard it.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Roman Forts in Northeast England - Wikipedia Articles - by MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS - 03-31-2008, 01:03 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman villas in Northern England Robert Vermaat 0 206 04-17-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  The forts and their Garrsions in Northern England prior to Hadrian's Wall felixgallus 2 1,594 07-24-2016, 03:51 PM
Last Post: Fabricius Carbo
  Roman forts before excavation ... Luka Bruketa 4 1,532 01-18-2015, 12:08 PM
Last Post: mcbishop