Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Forts in Northeast England - Wikipedia Articles
I also found it difficult however when I did get hold of things, I discovered a couple of details that may need to be cleared up. There is mention of a bridge the name of which is incorrect, this bridge it is refering to should be the Ponti Sansebastiano that crosses the Tiber river to the Castel St Angelo which is the tomb of the emperor Hadrian. The other point is that the name Newcastle was not in use at the time of the Norman conquest, it only comes in with William Rufus the son of William the 1st. Rufus came north at a later date, infact Northumberland is the county that does not feature in the Doomsday book and only came under Norman rule after Rufus. Indeed the name after Pons Aelius through out medieval times was Villa Castri Novae as can be found on many ancient coins.
Brian Stobbs

Messages In This Thread
Re: Roman Forts in Northeast England - Wikipedia Articles - by PhilusEstilius - 03-28-2008, 09:24 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman villas in Northern England Robert Vermaat 0 206 04-17-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  The forts and their Garrsions in Northern England prior to Hadrian's Wall felixgallus 2 1,594 07-24-2016, 03:51 PM
Last Post: Fabricius Carbo
  Roman forts before excavation ... Luka Bruketa 4 1,532 01-18-2015, 12:08 PM
Last Post: mcbishop