Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tidal Waves or Tsunamis in Ancient Literature
Avete,

In case someone hasn't seen the "Exodus Decoded" you can watch the whole thing online - it's over 90 minutes.

Here's the direct link.

To see the highlights, you can drag the slider to "28:00" to see when he starts talking about the Santorini Eruption and you can skip to "52:00" when he starts talking about the actual parting of the Reed Sea (which is actually an extinct lake today due to the Suez Canal).

About the pillars of smoke and fire, he has a different interpretation. You'll see for yourselves if you skip to "52:00" and watch for about 20 minutes.

Quote:
Theodosius the Great:kat8oxss Wrote:Theodosius the Great wrote:
Would you object to :

a science teacher who did not believe in science ?

a marxist teaching capitalism ?

an anarchist teaching about representative democracy ?

a medical professor who didn't believe in medicine ?
Yes, of course; that they are critical does not mean that they are talking nonsense. Marx has said a lot of interesting things about capitalism, which have become mainstream economic theory.
I admit it's possible to put aside one's biases and teach the subject straight but I'm not so trusting. Most people in my opinion and experience lack such integrity.

Quote:That's too simple, in my opinion. It was believers like Robinson and Albright who went digging in the biblical soil, because they took it litterally and ignored that many lines had to be read metaphorically
Admittedly there are some biblical absolutists but they are a small minority, IMO. Among non-believers, I believe the majority of them are more susceptible to making fallacious conclusions like the old "absence of evidence is evidence of absence". Just because Sodom and Gommorah haven't yet been discovered doesn't mean they did not exist, IMO. Ditto for the five cities of Philistia.

Quote:As far as metaphors are concerned, scholars -I am not talking about believers- have to read the Bible like any other ancient document: it contains poetry that is related to that of the ancient Near East, it contains myths that belong to the Near Eastern family, and it contains historical sections that have to be read like any other ancient Near Eastern chronicle.
No disagreement there Smile . But if and when the Ark of Noah, Atlantis, or the Ark of the Covenant are found, it will have been achieved by believers in all likelihood.

Thanks for elaborating your position. I can see more clearly where you're coming from, Jona.

~Theo
Jaime

Messages In This Thread
Ancient Tsunamis - by Paullus Scipio - 03-14-2008, 11:37 PM
Re: Tidal Waves or Tsunamis in Ancient Literature - by Theodosius the Great - 03-18-2008, 08:04 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Inventory of the entire body of ancient literature Eleatic Guest 6 2,130 08-02-2020, 03:59 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  The survival rate of ancient literature Sean Manning 53 19,890 02-16-2009, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Restitvtvs