Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vandalic warrior 5th century
Quote:I would say yes for a baldenheim type, such spangenhelms were probably used by both romans and barbarians in the Vth and VIth centuries, and there is no archeological evidence for use of ridge helmets after the beginning of the Vth century, except for Britain and Scandinavia. You can also opt for a simpler 'bowl' helmet with several riveted parts.

Yes, that simple helmet would also be a possibility.
As to the spangenhelm, I agree that it is possible and even likely that this type became the dominant type of helmet in the West during the 5th c.

However, we have no information when ridge helmets were phased out. Like Ben says, the remained in use in Britain and Scandinavia, and I have no doubt that the remained in use with the Roman army as long as fabricae continued to produce helmets (which unfortunately is unknown). Then again, we also have to keep in mind that armour (including helmets) became more and more a luxury object when the 5th c. wore on. But how far that happened among the Vandals when compared to, say, the Frank I don't know.

A Baldenheim helmet is later rather than early 5th c., so if we envision Vandals roaming through Gaul (early 5th c.), Spain (early/mid-5th c.) and finally Africa (mid/late 5th c.), I have trouble seeing them equipped with such helmets. Sure, they could have made it down to Africa later, or with the Eastern Roman army that fought and lost several battles against Geiseric, sure.

If the choice would be between a berkasovo ridge and a Baldenheim spangen, I could not begin to guess. An Intercisa or a simple spangen would be far more probable, I think.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Re: Vandalic warrior 5th century - by Agraes - 12-03-2007, 01:28 PM
Re: Vandalic warrior 5th century - by Robert Vermaat - 12-04-2007, 08:35 AM
Re: Vandalic warrior 5th century - by Agraes - 03-03-2008, 03:42 PM
Re: Vandalic warrior 5th century - by Natuspardo - 03-07-2008, 06:58 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  6th century warrior grave goods Dave G 2 2,256 07-18-2015, 02:18 PM
Last Post: Caballo
  Continental Celtic warrior 50BC-1st century AD Marcus Mummius 5 4,294 05-18-2012, 12:55 AM
Last Post: Joze Noriker